[mythtv-users] New frontend, wrong picture size

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Fri Sep 28 19:59:24 UTC 2007

>>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Frequently_Asked_Questions#All_my_fonts_look_like_they_are_the_wrong_sizes.2C_how_can_I_correct_this.3F
>>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Specifying_DPI_for_NVIDIA_Cards
>>>
>> Thanks for the links, I'm working my way through them although I'm not
>> sure they'll necessarily help as the GUI is displaying fine (which is
>> what most of these links seem to try and fix), it's the playback of
>> video that isn't sized correctly.
>>

> The GUI is created to take up the full screen, and full screen is full
> screen regardless of what physical size X may think the screen is.  The
> video is played back at the proper aspect ratio defined by the video
> itself, but /only/ if X is provided the proper information to determine
> the physical size of the display (most importantly, the relative sizes
> of the 2 axes of the display).  The above links will provide information
> you can use to properly configure X and then video playback will be done
> with proper aspect ratio.

I'm going to take a stab that you're watching standard definition video
on your 16:9 screen via MythTV and it's not 'stretching' it to fit.  Do
your DVD videos display properly via MythTV on the 16:9 screen?

There are something like three places to check on the system:
o Your X server configuration to make sure it is set to properly display
on a 16:9 screen (depends on your graphics card, but if it is nVidia,
check out:  http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/ComponentOut
o Utilities/Setup -> Setup -> Page 2, under "Monitor Aspect Ratio"
select "16:9"
o Utilities/Setup -> Setup -> TV Settings -> Playback -> Page 1,  check
out  the "Aspect Override" option.  If you want everything full screen,
set this to 16/9.

-Rich