[mythtv-users] Ettiquette for this list when responding to messages

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Sep 28 19:53:56 UTC 2007

On 09/28/2007 01:30 PM, James Pifer wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-09-28 at 11:13 -0600, Bearcat M. Sandor wrote:
>
>> When i respond to a message on this list, i do so only back to the list, not
>> the list and the original poster.  I figure why do they need 2 copies of the
>> same e-mail.
>>
>> Am i supposed to reply to both? Most people here seem to do that.
>>
> Quick inspection leads me to believe it is something with your mail
> client, but that's just a guess. The "Reply-To" in your message has your
> address AND the mythtv-users email address. So when I hit reply it, it
> automatically replies to both. Almost all the other messages I look at
> in the list only have the mythtv-users address in Reply-To. I've removed
> yours in this reply.

Exactly.  It's not a question of list preference, but user preference.
IMHO, if the user explicitly sets a value in the Reply-To header (i.e.
they've specified a value in the "Reply To" address setting when they
configured their e-mail client), they're asking for a direct reply.
(Note that I often ignore this request and explicitly delete the user's
address because I don't want to carry on a one-on-one discussion with
the user when the user responds to the direct mail before seeing the
on-list reply.)

Note that if you do not provide a value for the "Reply To" address in
your mail client, clients replying to your messages will reply to the
address in the From header.  The "Reply To" address is only meant to be
used if the sender wants a response sent to some address other than the