[mythtv-users] Ettiquette for this list when responding to messages

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Fri Sep 28 19:42:55 UTC 2007

On Fri, Sep 28, 2007 at 11:47:25AM -0600, peter abplanalp wrote:
> ----- "James Pifer" <jep at obrien-pifer.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2007-09-28 at 11:13 -0600, Bearcat M. Sandor wrote:
> > > Am i supposed to reply to both? Most people here seem to do that.
> >
> > Quick inspection leads me to believe it is something with your mail
> > client
>
> i second this.  when i reply to james' email, i get only his
> address in the to field but when i reply to bearcat's earlier
> message, i get both the list and his email in the to field.  i'm
> not sure about the list ettiquette but i prefer responses to
> go to the list.

There's a *good* reason why you shouldn't carbon list responses to the
person who asked a question, in addition to all the mediocre ones:

When I receive a reply addressed to *me* from a list message, I often
fail to notice the headers, and assume the person has replied to me
offlist purposefully; my reply often then goes only to them.

Then I see the message hit the list, and grumble, and have to resend
the reply.

In the worst case, the user's mailer actually sends *separate copies*,
and I can't even tell it's a list reply if I look.

Cheers,
-- jra