[mythtv-users] Ettiquette for this list when responding to messages

Marc MERLIN marc_mtv at merlins.org
Fri Sep 28 18:56:10 UTC 2007

On Fri, Sep 28, 2007 at 01:20:47PM -0500, Mike LaPlante wrote:
> I brought this up on atrpms-users once. For some reason on every list
> I'm on, except ATrpms, I can just hit Thunderbird's "Reply" and it
> always goes to the list address. But when responding to an ATrpm message

That is wrong, they are misconfigured.

> "Reply" goes to the sender. I think it has to do with the way the list
> is setup. One user on that list suggested that I just always use "Reply
> All" for any list, sure the sender gets an extra copy, but you know the
> list will get a copy as well.

Exactly.
It also lets you reply to the sender only if you wish, and stops vacation
auto replies from going to the list, and sometimes causing bad mail loops.

You can read more about it here:
http://marc.merlins.org/netrants/listreplyto.html
and more details on my views (which were shared by most people on the
mailman devel list, software used to run this list):
http://marc.merlins.org/netrants/listreplyto.txt

Hope this helps.
Marc
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/