[mythtv-users] Kudos and mythtv-users culture

Bill Barowy wbarowy at comcast.net
Fri Sep 28 17:41:41 UTC 2007

My first post to this forum.  Kudo's to all those who contributed to the
effort!  It's a great system, and since I'm already running a FC5 workstation
and a wiki server on RH8, my choice was Mythdora.  Having started with RH7, I
find the ease of installation and configuration is just amazing given what's
happening under the hood. Thanks also to all those who share on this list.
The quantity/quality of information is much appreciated.

On another topic:
On Friday 28 September 2007 08:00, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote:
> And Bearcat, I've been on a semi-private list since '96 where
> top-posting will get you the ClueBat which is generally adorned with
> asphalt, rock salt, rusty nails, razor wire and a splash of vinegar. I

A meta question:  Is any mailing-list  cultural norm really representative of
a  majority who participate or is it that of the most dominant, who post the
most, or perhaps who complain the most, or perhaps who bully the most, who
set the standards?  I've participated in another list in which some of the
most prominent members just left, never to return, because a less productive
but more aggressive person essentially drove them away.

IMHO bottom posting is really not all that convenient as a norm.  I use kmail
for a client, and since I'm usually following a thread anyway, it becomes a
pain to rescan through text already sent to find the next contribution,
*especially if entire messages are quoted*.  I find it more convenient to
read top posters -- but it's even better when a *relevant* short quote of the
prior message is referenced at the bottom.

--
bb