[mythtv-users] FW: gforce 7600gs

mythtv at clayfish.net mythtv at clayfish.net
Fri Sep 28 16:48:41 UTC 2007

Begin forwarded message:

> From: les (bert at pacbell.net)
> Date Sent:
> To:  mythtv-users at mythtv.org
> Subject: [mythtv-users] gforce 7600gs
>
> hello all... am just starting to build a box.. was thinking of using the
 > gforce 7600gs  because my sony hdtv has hdmi in..
 > and any ideas for a motherboard would be nice too..
 >
 > les

The 7600GS works great.  I don't think you can go wrong there.  I have no experience on the 6200 series.  I had trouble getting a 5200 to drive a 1080p LCD TV (see below), but they work fine on a 720p TV, a 1024x768 LCD monitor, and a S-Video and composite out to a standard definition TV in my house.

I have a Athlon X2 4200 on a nForce3 250 chipset motherboard (Epox) with 2GB of memory running Fedora 6 w/Atrpms and the nVidia proprietary drivers (100.14.11) as a FE/BE.  I was running a 5200 to drive a Sony 720p 42" LCD projection TV.  Playback was clear and smooth.   The projection TV was a little too washed out in my bright living, so I moved it to the bedroom and got a Westinghouse 1080p 47" LCD panel TV.  The same FE/BE had problems driving the 1080p LCD.   The picture was gorgeous but the playback was choppy, even standard definition.  I tried the "UseEvents" "True" option and disabling the Composite extension that had been suggested in this list, but they made no difference.  CPU on one core was 65% on HD playback.  The thing that pointed me to the video card being inadequate was the big slowdown of the OpenGL menu transitions moving from 720p to 1080p.  I bought the most advanced fanless nVidia AGP card I could find,
a 7600GS, and replaced the 5200.  OpenGL transitions went back to normal.  Playback was smooth, even in HD.  CPU was still 65% on one core.  The 5200 is still driving the Sony 720p perfectly well in my bedroom FE (Sempron 3400).

I have had the best luck with nVidia chipset motherboards for AMD CPUs.  I recently gave up fighting a VIA K8T890 motherboard (SATA and Ethernet problems) and put it in a Windows machine where it works fine, so I am guessing there were some driver issues.  I put the nVidia board from the Windows machine into the FE/BE and have had no problems.

Steve