[mythtv-users] "get the sources and fix it yourself"

Bearcat M. Sandor HomeTheater at feline-soul.com
Thu Sep 27 22:30:23 UTC 2007

I agree with all that you say below. However, it's attitude that i've run
into behind RTFM that i object too.  I donno, perhaps i've just had the
misfortune to run into the jerks.

I'm not talking about the following:
WhinyUser: "My mythweb doesn't work. Help!...Hello...anyone here...why
won't anyone help me..."
That's just irritating.

I am talking about:

User: "When i try to delete a program in mythweb i get the following php
error [insert long error here]. Is this a known bug? There is no bug list
available."

Dev: "The error told you it was in module x, go fix it yourself"

User: "If i knew php i would do so. The archives don't list anyone else
with this bug. Besides, i'm not a programmer and i'm not going to spend
the next 100 days learning php to fix a bug that may be fixed by the time
i do so, and i thought you'd want to know about it anyway."

*Dev pushes a button and User falls into a pit lined with razor sharp,
empty Vista cartons*

Personally i don't see why anything other then WhinyUser deserves a sharp
retort of RTFM.