[mythtv-users] "get the sources and fix it yourself"

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Thu Sep 27 21:19:09 UTC 2007

On Sep 27, 2007, at 2:06 PM, jedi at mishnet.org wrote:

>> Asking for help is a measure of one's commitment to solving a
>> problem. If
>> anything it shows that there is commitment.
>>
>> Not everyone is at the same level of competence when it comes to
>> computers
>> and bug resolution.
>
>     That is what the documentation is for.
>
>     Ignorant of something? Crack open a book.
>
>     It might not magically turn you into a guru but you are bound to
> become aware of some of the gotchas and what you might need to ask or
> what information you might need to provide to the guru.

I have to agree. No one is born with the information required to post
a patch or resolve a bug. You can either take the time to learn how
to do it or you can wait until someone else who has already put that
effort in finds it important enough to do it. What you're not allowed
to do is complain that you don't want to put the time into learning
and expect someone else to take the time out of their lives to do it
for you. That's just rude.