[mythtv-users] "get the sources and fix it yourself"

jedi at mishnet.org jedi at mishnet.org
Thu Sep 27 21:06:52 UTC 2007

> Asking for help is a measure of one's commitment to solving a problem. If
> anything it shows that there is commitment.
>
> Not everyone is at the same level of competence when it comes to computers
> and bug resolution.

    That is what the documentation is for.

    Ignorant of something? Crack open a book.

    It might not magically turn you into a guru but you are bound to
become aware of some of the gotchas and what you might need to ask or
what information you might need to provide to the guru.

> I guess it comes down to a question of "Do we want Linux only to to used
> by geeks or by the common person?" Given the work done towards usability i

     If you need to troubleshoot something. It's already far too late
for the "but that meanie told me to read the manual" rhetoric. When stuff
breaks (pretty much anything, not just Linux) it's usually pretty hard
to deal with.

[deletia]

     Elitism would actually be the opposite of what you are complaining
about.