[mythtv-users] Still having problems scanning channels... or am I?

Brian Walter blwalter at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 14:26:56 UTC 2007

Harry Devine wrote:
> Brian L. Walter wrote:
>
>> Harry Devine wrote:
>>

>>> I started a thread about a month ago concerning not being able to get
>>> any channels when I scan.  Well, I get some, but they are all listed
>>> strangely to me.  I get channels such as 79#0, 79#1, etc.
>>>
>>> So tonight I was looking at some info on the HDHomerun since I see alot
>>> of posts about it on this list, in case I wanna add one to my setup.  I
>>> went to the following page, and saw that the 79#0, etc. actually MEAN
>>> something in my setup:
>>> http://www.silicondust.com/hdhomerun/lineupui?Cmd=LocationProgramsWeb&Country=US&Postcode=08234
>>>
>>> I guess what I'm getting at is that can I assume that my channels are
>>> actually getting scanned properly and just aren't in a format that I can
>>> understand?  Do I need to use the channel editor to map them over to
>>> channels that I'm used to seeing (Channel 6, Channel 10, etc.)?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Harry
>>>

>> Harry,
>>
>> The short answer is yes.
>>
>> The slightly longer answer - Some channels are sent with info on them,
>> for instance, WBZ-DT.  These will be added with the name and
>> description, but you have to map the channels and the xmltvids to
>> something that SD or whatever your listing source recognizes.
>>
>> In mapping the unknowns (74#0), I use a combination of the hdhr config
>> utility and the frontend to figure out which channel is which.  Scanning
>> will add something like 74#0, but, that does not directly map to
>> something that hdhr presents.  It might be 74.1, or
>> 74.11....*generally*, it maps them starting at 0, incrementing by one.
>>
>> For instance, hdhr presents 74.11, 74.12 and 74.13.  Usually this gets
>> mapped into myth as 74#0, 74#1 and 74#2, *if* myth saw all 3
>> channels...it may not have, so visually verify them in the frontend.
>> I've deleted my hdhr sourced and re-added them quite a few times  till I
>> fugured that out.
>>
>> HTH.
>> Brian
>>

> OK, I just started trying to map the HDHomerun lineup frequencies (I
> don't have an HDHomerun; only a pcHDTV-5500 card, but their lineup for
> my zipcode is the only source that I've seen where I can see the
> relationship between the transmitted channel and call-sign) to the
> channel names/numbers that I'm familiar with, and I want to be sure I'm
> going about it correctly.  I am using the channel editor via MythWeb.
>
> delete 	sourceid 	xmltvid 	channum 	callsign 	name 	freqid 	finetune
> videofilters 	brightness 	contrast 	colour 	hue 	recpriority 	commfree
> visible 	useonairguide
>

> 	1
> 	1
> 	1
> 	1
> 	1
>

> The HDHomerun lineup (via the link above in my original post) shows the
> following for those channels (I assume):
> [...]
Harry,

You don't have to do anything to the other columns.

Lets take 79#0 as an example.

We've discovered, via tuning it by some method (frontend or other
utility), that it is NBC-DT for your area.

What I do in this case is the following via mythweb:

1) Change the xmltvid from blank to the correct value from my schedule
provider
2) Change the channum to the channel number from my schedule provider
(for the sake of illustration 79#0->4.1)
3) Change the call sign to the appropriate value (again, for the sake of
illustration UNKOWN79#0->WBZ-DT)
4) Change the Frequency from 79 to the channel number from my schedule
provider (79->804).

Save the changes.

In the case where the scan identifies the channel correctly, I need to
only do steps 1 and 4 from above.

HTW

Brian