[mythtv-users] Should I use LVM on this new raid?

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 22:38:26 UTC 2007

> > In which thread Steve wrote:
> > > I didn't find that so surprising, from my understanding manufacturers
> > > stopped making different drives depending on interface, they would
> > > just change the interface on the same drive. So this outcome would
> > > make sense.
> >
> I can't really agree on that. The reason is that current SCSI drives
> are either 10K or 15K rpm while SATA is 7200 or less for laptops. I
> know I left out the Raptor as it is 10K but cost and is sized more as
> a SCSI drive than a SATA.

I hit send way to fast (as I really do not have much time to comment)..
I was trying to say here that SCSI drives and SATA drives are designed
differently. One reason is the spindle speed difference requires more
durable components for SCSI drives. A second design difference is that
SCSI drives generally have physically smaller disks and less arial
density. All of these are mainly to reduce seek times.

John