[mythtv-users] Should I use LVM on this new raid?

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 22:32:28 UTC 2007

> In which thread Steve wrote:
> > I didn't find that so surprising, from my understanding manufacturers
> > stopped making different drives depending on interface, they would
> > just change the interface on the same drive. So this outcome would
> > make sense.

I can't really agree on that. The reason is that current SCSI drives
are either 10K or 15K rpm while SATA is 7200 or less for laptops. I
know I left out the Raptor as it is 10K but cost and is sized more as
a SCSI drive than a SATA.

> So that implies to me that people really believe that business will
> *pay* a 6:1 or more price imbalance for those drives, for no good
> reason.

The good reason is that SCSI drives have 1/2 the seek time of SATA
drives so performance with SCSI is greatly improved if you do a lot of
random reads/writes.

John