[mythtv-users] Can't Record Two HD Streams on HDHomerun

Billy Macdonald billymacdonald at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 18:35:57 UTC 2007

On 9/26/07, Kirk Bocek <t004 at kbocek.com> wrote:
> * Network
>
> I have two unmanaged switches in the wiring closet a small 10/100 and a small
> gigabit switch. The 10/100 is cascaded off the gigabit. The server has a
> gigabit link into the gigabit switch. I *probably* (I'll have to check) have
> the HDHomerun plugged into the 10/100 switch since it would be a waste of a
> gigabit port to go the other way:
>
> HDHomerun --> 10/100 Switch --> Gigabit Switch --> Gigabit port on server.

If you have the open port, plug it into the gigabit switch just to
rule out the 10/100.  If that doesn't help, try them both in the
10/100 switch.  It could be a bad switch.  And is the 10/100 really a
switch, or is it a hub?  Just checking.

> * Disk Bandwidth

I have two HDHomeRuns, and 3 PATA bargain buys from bestbuy in a LVM
volume.  I can record 4 HD streams at once.  I think you have more
than enough disk speed.   Remember, HD is a max at about 19Mb/s
(that's bits) and 720p streams, or a stream from a multicasted
channel, will be even smaller.  So four HD streams is, at the most,
80Mb/s, which is about 10MB/s.  I think your drives can handle that.

Billy

PS  I do get the occasional hiccup in a recording.  Could be the
network, could be the drives, could be the backend as it's slow, or
could be the signal, but not more than one or two minor glitches in an
hour recording.  It's minor enough to keep me from troubleshooting,
but the perfectionists that float around here would surely find it
annoying.