[mythtv-users] Should I use LVM on this new raid?

Brett Kosinski fancypantalons at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 04:21:59 UTC 2007

> In fairness, while Seagate IDE drives are very good, even I don't
> expect them to run 24/7/365/100% duty.
>
> The SCSI drives cost 3 times as much precisely *because* they are, in
> fact, designed to run at pretty close to 100% duty cycle for the entire
> 5 years.

Bah, if you ask me, that's just marketing BS.  Recent studies by Google,
among others, have shown that a) SCSI drives are no more reliable than ATA,
and b) "enterprise" rated drives aren't any better, either.

Basically, there's no magic bullet.  Further, I'm 100% convinced no one
manufacturer is necessarily better than any others.  They all have bad
batches/models, and good ones, too.  Some people hate Hitachi, others,
Seagate, yet others, Maxtor.  In the end, the only solution is RAID for
redundancy (unless you're a RAID-0 psycho ;), and backups for PEBKAC and
natural disaster protection (well, assuming you offset).

Of course, that's all just MHO. :)

Brett.