[mythtv-users] software encoding to MPEG2

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Wed Sep 26 02:37:22 UTC 2007

* On Tue Sep 25, 2007 at 08:54:49PM -0400, Tom Metro wrote:
> Chris Pinkham wrote:
> > ...currently you can only software-encode to MPEG-4
> > and RTjpeg.  It is a 2-part issue.  You have the encoding method and
> > the container format.  I made some modifications to SVN a while back to
> > allow MPEG-2 data in .nuv files, but didn't hook up the GUI parts.
>
> So does that mean that even though I can transcode to MPEG2 external to
> MythTV, things won't work right if I replace the .nuv with a .mpg that
> doesn't use the MythTV container format?

No, you can put in your own file, you just need to rebuild the seek
table afterwards using mythcommflag or mythtranscode (preferable in
your case of replacing a .nuv with a .mpg).  Getting from .nuv to
.mpg may be the hard part as some people run into sync issues when
trying to do this.

> If that's the case, then I'll stop wasting my time with this cheap card
> and get a PVR150...or upgrade to an HDHR.

Probably the best route for now.

--
Chris