[mythtv-users] MSNTV2 box? (was software encoding to MPEG2)

Brandon Penglase da5id2001 at SpaceServices.net
Wed Sep 26 02:35:59 UTC 2007

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 17:37:50 -0400
Chris Pinkham <cpinkham at bc2va.org> wrote:

> * On Tue Sep 25, 2007 at 03:00:25PM -0400, Tom Lichti wrote:
> > Chris Pinkham wrote:
> > > I used to have a pair of mvpmc boxes, but sold them in favor of
> > > using a couple msntv2 boxes since they can be full-featured
> > > frontends.  If
> >
> > Er, what? I had no idea you could do that, details please? The
> > archives don't have anything, and google seems to not have anything
> > substantive either.
>
> If you google for "msntv2 linux" then you'll find lots of info on
> running Linux on these boxes.
>
> With a little help from other msntv2 users I was able to get it up and
> running using a Fedora 5 based nfsroot image.  All my frontends are
> diskless using this image now.  Each has its own private copy of /etc
> and /tmp, but share the base FC5 install.  The P3-733 CPUs in the
> msntv2 boxes are equivalent to my other frontends and the diskless,
> fanless, lightless box is nice for places like the bedroom.

I'm actually working on getting a MSNTV2 to work as a frontend
currently. What driver are you using to get display output? That is my
only hang-up so far.

Brandon