[mythtv-users] Coax splitters - how painful are they?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Sep 26 02:31:00 UTC 2007

Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 25, 2007 at 04:11:29PM -0600, Brian Wood wrote:
>> In case some folks have missed it, a perfect two-way split with no
>> device losses would be a 3db. "loss" to each leg.
>
> Assuming that both ports are correctly terminated into a clean 75 ohms.
>
>>                                                      Actually nothing would
>> be "lost" as all the power would be accounted for. In other words: If I
>> have a cable with +30dbmv. comoing out of it, and I take away half of
>> the signal power, I will then have +27dbmv., NOT +15dbmv.
>
> Yep; decibal scales are logarithms.

Yep, but try explaining that to the "expert technician" from your local
cable co.

Then I had one who wanted to put an attenuator on the input of my cable
modem to "boost the signal". I tried explaining that if he actually had
a passive device that would "boost the signal" his next stop should be
the patent office, but I just got a dumb stare.

beww