[mythtv-users] OT: Cable Modems...

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Sep 25 22:40:32 UTC 2007

Yan Seiner wrote:
> Brian Wood wrote:
>
>> Since I run servers I want fast outbound speed. I presently have 3Mb
>> inbound and 1Mb outbound on a "business" connection, but I'd like to
>> have better upload speed, which my cable operator presently claims they
>> can't give me.
>
> What you want is SDSL, not ADSL.  SDSL (Symmetric DSL) has the same
> bandwidth up/down.

Yeah, I had that when I lived in NJ, but at that time and given my loop
length the best they could do for me was 192K. It was still a step up
from my ISDN line, and cheaper too.

I looked into it here but the cost was prohibitive. They can't (or
won't) run SDSL on your regular POTS line, it takes a separate loop,
hence additional cost.

There is an operator here (Extreme Hi-Speed) apparently offering service
by microwave, if you happen to be line-of-sight to one of their towers.
I've been meaning to look into that.

Plus the cable company claims they will be deploying DOCSIS II stuff
"soon". I think that means sometime prior to the first manned Mars mission.

Oh well, I still remember paying about $250 for my first "high speed"
2400 baud modem, so I guess I can't complain.

beww