[mythtv-users] OT: Cable Modems...

Henry A Harper III hah at alumni.rice.edu
Tue Sep 25 20:57:51 UTC 2007

> i'm actually going to get cable service :D
> and in the process i'm switching my Internet provider as well.  i have
> a cable modem that is ~3 years old; works fine, i have had relatively
> few issues with it.  is there any point in upgrading to a more recent
> cable modem?

FYI, I recently had to upgrade from my 6-year-old DOCSIS 1.1 cablemodem to a
DOCSIS 2.0  model because my cable company obsoleted DOCSIS 1.1 support,
apparently. You might check the specs/supported equipment of your new
provider. For me it was an out of pocket expense since I wasn't renting but
that's ok because I could have bought a new cablemodem every year for the
cost of renting. There was no warning for this obsoletion other than the
"you need a new cablemodem" page suddenly appearing on any web access.
Thanks, cableone.

Other than that, I would expect no real reason to buy a new one.