[mythtv-users] On the verge of giving up

jedi at mishnet.org jedi at mishnet.org
Tue Sep 25 19:56:40 UTC 2007

> On Mon, Sep 24, 2007 at 12:50:38PM -0600, Brian Wood wrote:
>> Brett Kosinski wrote:
>> > Don't mistake the Windows registry implementation with the concept,
>> > itself, of a centralized, consistent (in the sense that it's a
>> > consistent format with a known layout) configuration database.  IMHO,
>> > the concept isn't necessarily a bad one.  The Windows implementation

    Sure it is. Once you start centralizing something you have to deal
with concurrency and access control issues and the possibility that one
"user" will cause a general outage. It takes something that could be very
simple and jacks up the technical requirements because now you are doing
things that are harder to manage and will do more damage when it breaks.

    Personal automobile vs. jetliner.

    The "registry problem" is the fact that Microsoft didn't properly
acknowledge this sort of difference.

    It's the sort of idea that sounds nice until you start to work out
all of the gotchas.

>> of
>> > it, however... well, that's another story entirely. :)
>>
>> True, Microsoft could probably screw up the implementation of the wheel
>> or fire.
>
> Well, they sure can't get "the window" right.

    I won't bother with LVM either until I can build myself a
properly redundant array with a hot spare. Until then I would
just be increasing the likelihood that all of my data gets trashed
(rather than just part of it).