[mythtv-users] OTA HD is sometimes good, sometimes bad...

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Tue Sep 25 17:52:58 UTC 2007

matthew.garman at gmail.com wrote:
> A good example is last night: I recorded The Simpsons at 7:00 PM
> (Central time); the recording had a few very minor blips, but was
> otherwise fine.  I tried to record The Family Guy at 8:00 PM, and it
> was unwatchable, for the whole duration (1 hour) of the show.  Badly
> pixellated, jerky audio, random pauses and jumps.
>
> I can't imagine what could have happened in the half hour between
> these two shows that would cause one to be nearly perfect and the
> other unwatchable.  I didn't move the antenna at all, didn't use the
> MythTV box for anything else during that time.

Another thing you might check is birds. On my old aerial rig, a woodpigeon
landing would send the whole lot into oscillation for about half a minute, not
doing the already-dodgy signal much good. On my new setup I can still tell when
a bird lands, I get the odd pixel block (UK DVB-T) but nothing more troubling.

Hmm. 8pm. You got a bird roosting about that time?

Mike Perkins