[mythtv-users] Coax splitters - how painful are they?

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 13:56:04 UTC 2007

On 9/25/07, Dan Ritter <dsr-myth at tao.merseine.nu> wrote:

> For two tuners, I would use a passive splitter; for four tuners,
> I would consider a four-way powered splitter. But if your signal
> strength is exceptional -- as yours may be -- even a 4-way
> unpowered splitter may work.
>
> -dsr-

For OTA would he possibly be better off using a mast mounted amp
rather than a powered splitter?  That's what I'm doing.

I'm about 30 miles from New York.  I have a Channel Master 7777 mast
mounted amp with a 120" Radio Shack roof mounted antenna with a rotor.
 Believe it or not, I have one four-way splitter at the TV where my
antenna comes into the house (for my old analog equipment), and one of
those splits goes to my mythtv backend with another split to three
HD-5500 tuners at the backend.

I get all the NY networks and PBS etc just fine.  If I turn towards
Philadelphia, which it about 50 miles away (with my ash tree right in
the way) I get all of theirs as well.

Tom