[mythtv-users] Mythwelcome wakes up the backend

Paul Harrison mythtv at dsl.pipex.com
Tue Sep 25 10:17:33 UTC 2007

MartinG wrote:
> I'm still confused. I thought it would be possible to have the FE to
> be on at all times, staying in the mythwelcome screen. That is what I
> want - my girlfriend should be able to press "Start Frontend" from the
> remote, wait a couple of minutes for the BE to start, and then watch
> liveTV.
>
> I still have the problem that the FE will try to wake the BE
> immediately after the BE shuts down. How can I avoid that?
>
> best regards
> MartinG

It's assumed that most people will want their FEs to shut down at the
same time as the BE. I've never tested what you are trying but I can see
how it's not going to work without making some changes. MythWelcome
checks to see if it is still connected to the backend whenever it
updates the status message and if it isn't tries to reconnect. I would
be fairly trivial to change that behavior to only try to reconnect if it
knows that the BE should still be awake.

Basically you can't do what you want without modifying the code in
welcomedialog.cpp and since it looks like your using FC packages I'm
guessing you don't want to do that :-).

Paul H.