[mythtv-users] Dual HDTV Tuner for Australia

Peter Schachte schachte at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Tue Sep 25 04:31:25 UTC 2007

Carl Lewis wrote:
>> 3: Two tuners should be plenty for free-to-air in Australia, though I
>> guess it depends on your viewing habits.  Lots of stuff is repeated, so
>
> I've three tuners as well and find the third is used
> consistently for a month or so every year, even here in Tas,
> ratings season. The rest of the year, well as Simon indicated
> two is 99% fine.

I have 3 tuners.  In the next week, my third tuner is scheduled to be used 5
times, and I still have 3 conflicts.  Note, however, that I record 1 minute early
and up to 20 minutes late for most shows, and a family of 5 with wide-ranging
interests.  I can usually fix conflicts by overriding recording schedules to give
up start early/end late when recording consecutive programs on the same channel,
but then you usually have to watch the beginning or ending of one program on a
different recording.

I suggest sitting down with a week's TV listings (or one of the online schedules,
like http://www.ebroadcast.com.au/TV/) and see at most how many different programs
you'd like to watch are on at once.  But remember you really do need to record
several minutes past the scheduled end of a program on 7, 9, or 10 to have any
hope of actually getting the end, but that you can't count on a program on a
different channel starting several minutes late.

--
Peter Schachte              The most common way people give up their power
schachte at cs.mu.OZ.AU        is by thinking they don't have any.