[mythtv-users] Dual HDTV Tuner for Australia

Dean Harding dean.harding at dload.com.au
Tue Sep 25 04:26:20 UTC 2007

Dan Harper wrote:
>   - So, I want a third tuner to get the overlap on one channel while
> recording the second

It's never enough, is it? I bought a dual tuner (I got the Hauppauge
Nova-T 500, by the way, and it's been great thus far) thinking that'd be
enough but I also noticed that you have to record a good 10-15 after the
"scheduled" end of the program in order to get the whole thing (this is
especially true of live shows, like Idol [that WAF again :p] or Rove)

The good thing about MythTV, though, is that I find I simply don't watch
live TV anymore, so I can easily record shows one after the other and it
just switches between tuners. It's really only a problem when you want
to record two shows at once and *then* another show straight after,
which hasn't happened all that much for me so far...

The only thing I'd say about buying a dual tuner, rather than two
singles is that a dual tuner is generally more expensive than getting
two single tuners, but at least it frees up an extra PCI slot (though
you could just get a USB hub and use USB tuners).

Dean.