[mythtv-users] Dual HDTV Tuner for Australia

Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Mon Sep 24 23:52:47 UTC 2007

I didn't catch the original post here, but a few of quick points.

1: If it's a DVB-t receiver, it receives both HDTV and SDTV.  They're
both part of the digital transmission coming from the TV company.  I
don't have any HD kit but I can quite happily record HD streams.

2: Try buying your cards from Dick Smith as they take no-questions-asked
returns, so long as you return it in the original packaging.  Probably
cheaper just to buy two cards rather than a specific dual-tuner model.

3: Two tuners should be plenty for free-to-air in Australia, though I
guess it depends on your viewing habits.  Lots of stuff is repeated, so
Myth gets quite good at re-scheduling to record the repeat to free up a
tuner for something one-off.  Personally I have three and the third only
really gets used to record things I never end up watching anyway -- but
hey, if some big news event kicks off I'll have ALL the news programmes.

--
Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net>
www.rumble.net

The Tourist Engineer
Just because you're on holiday, doesn't mean you're not a geek.
http://engineer.openguides.org/

 "The only sensible way to estimate the stability of a Windows
  server is to power it down and try it out as a step ladder."
- Robert Crawford