[mythtv-users] How would switching from cable to satellite affect my MythTV

William Munson william_munson at bellsouth.net
Mon Sep 24 23:46:09 UTC 2007

Taco Mel wrote:
> I am considering switching from cable to satellite and
> want to get some hardware and software recommendations
> from people who have a working setup.
>
> Currently I have cable TV and the following MythTV
> setup: pcHDTV 5500 hooked up to antenna, from which I
> reliably receive all networks OTA including HD feeds.
> Hauppauge 500 hooked up to cable for analog feeds.
> One front end hooked up to HDTV capable screen and
> another front end hooked up to old tube TV.
>
> Considering: Dish Network or DirecTV.  Primary reason
> for switching is that cable company does not and will
> not carry Big Ten network while aforementioned
> satellite companies do.  I would be comfortable with
> the monthly bill being within +/- $20 of the current
> cable bill.  No need for PPV or premium channels.
> Dish would be cheaper due to bundling with local phone
> service but the concerns are more of quality than
> price.
>
> NOT considering at this time: DVR service through
> satellite companies.  I need the freedom that MythTV
> provides to let me control my listings, storage space,
> and so on.
>
> I am resigned to the fact that I will have to output
> the satellite signal via S-video and then capture that
> in MythTV with an encoder, because there is no
> digital/firewire method of getting the signal (without
> modifying the STB).  Hence there is no way to get the
> HDTV from the satellite into MythTV.
>
> Here are my questions that I hope will receive a
> number of answers:
>
> 1. STB selection #1 - Is anyone using a "two room" STB
> and if so can it simultaneously output two signals to
> Myth?

It can however it will depend on what type remote control that model
has. The ones I know have a IR controlled output and a RF controlled
output. AFAIK myth cannot control the rf output.

> 2. STB selection #2 - Are there any recommendations as
> to STB's to avoid or to prefer based on MythTV
> compatibility (specifically control via serial, USB,
> firewire, or IR blaster)?

Some models of directv receivers have a functional serial port which is
a preffered way to control it.

> 3. Analog capture card - I would to add at least one
> more "analog" capture card so I can capture 3 feeds
> off the satellite.  Is there anything cheaper than a
> Hauppauge that will give similar quality?
>
> 4. HD capable STB - even though I know I cannot
> capture into Myth, I might consider connecting an HD
> capable STB directly to the TV set mainly for live
> watching of sports on ESPN or Big Ten HD networks.
> How much of a hack (to my configuration or whatever)
> would it take to make this STB available as a tuner to
> MythTV when it was not busy acting as an HDTV tuner
> for the TV set?

You would have to disable myth as it does not share well :) All you
would need to do is connect the right output to your tv and grab the remote.

> 5. Installation people - will the installer give me
> grief, or refuse to install, if I say something like
> "yes, really, those STB's do actually get installed in
> this closet."

It is quite common for people to install all the boxes in a service area
and pipe the output to various sets however the installer will likely
make noises about not installing the right equipment and you are going
to have to explain that you plan to control them by computer. Media
Center users are common enough now that the installer will know what you
are talking about.