[mythtv-users] OSD flicker in svn?

Dan Wilga mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu
Mon Sep 24 18:46:05 UTC 2007

On 9/22/07, Daniel Kristjansson
<<mailto:danielk at cuymedia.net>danielk at cuymedia.net> wrote:

On Sat, 2007-09-22 at 10:36 -0400, David Frascone wrote:
>  After upgrading to svn, the osd flickers a lot, depending on the
>  signal.  Is there some new setting I need to change?

It's probably "shimmering" this is a side effect of using bob
deinterlacing when the refresh rate of the monitor doesn't
match the video, or when the monitor has a quick phosphors.

Daniel, I also ran into this problem, and did something similar to
fix it (I turned off deinterlacing completely, since I have it
enabled in the nvidia control panel instead.)

But I did notice that with bob turned on, motion is actually
sharper--even with my old SDTV playing SD content. I like the way it
looks and would like to continue to use bob, if possible.

So, do you have any suggestions about what I could try to tweak to
get the OSD shimmer to go away with bob turned on? For what it's
worth, not only do I get shimmer, but if I'm doing things like
pressing Pause/Play, I can actually see the entire video frame jump
upward a row or two. I have already tried playing around with the
various vsync options in Myth and the nvidia control panel, to no
avail.

Some system details:

- NVIDIA FX-5200-based AGP card
- single, 3.0 GHz HT-enabled CPU
- a recent SVN version of Myth
- 1024 x 768 resolution, using the card's native TV-out modeline on
the S-Video port