[mythtv-users] Should I use LVM on this new raid?

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Mon Sep 24 18:28:47 UTC 2007

On Sep 24, 2007, at 11:04 AM, Joshua M. Thompson wrote:

> On 9/24/07, David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us> wrote:
>>
>> If you have a RAID array established, and you decide to tear it down
>> and use the drives elsewhere, DELETE THE ARRAY FIRST.  If you don't
>> do this, nothing else is going to recognize those SATA drives, even
>> to reformat them as JBOD.  When plugged into a regular SATA channel,
>> the BIOS won't recognize them.  When plugged into an older 3ware
>> card, it will recognize them but utterly fail to do anything with
>> them.
>
> Wow that's odd, because I just recently tore down a 60 GB RAID-1 that
> was on a 3ware SATA RAID card and reused the drives in another machine
> with no problems.

Hmm, the array I took apart was RAID-5.  That may make the difference.

I've got an assortment of machines here, some with 9500S cards
running RAID-5 arrays, and some with 8006 cards running RAID-1
arrays.  I've never run into a problem with reusing drives from the
8006s, but if I want to reuse a drive from one of the 9500S RAID-5
arrays I need to delete the array unit first.  Otherwise I get the
problems I described above.

It really is perplexing.  I'm at a loss to explain what the 9500S
card does to a RAID-5 member drive that stops a normal machine's BIOS
from recognizing it.