[mythtv-users] OT Question About OTA Antennas

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Mon Sep 24 16:41:20 UTC 2007

On Sep 24, 2007, at 9:06 AM, David Brieck Jr. wrote:
> Antennaweb pretty much sucks anymore. Try using www.tvfool.com.

Those sites give wildly divergent results, for me.

tvfool.com codes several stations as green, meaning a set-top antenna
would probably work.  Antennaweb codes them red, meaning I'd need a
medium-sized outdoor antenna.

Part of it may be that TV Fool's results for many of these channels
are based on 2-edge diffraction, which doesn't seem like it'd be
terribly reliable for a digital signal.  It also indicates that line-
of-sight for some of these stations would require a tower over 300
feet (!) tall.

Given that others have reported that MythTV needs at least 60% signal
strength to work reliably, I'm tempted to believe Antennaweb.