[mythtv-users] XvMC playback problem

James Fidell james at fidell.co.uk
Mon Sep 24 16:21:50 UTC 2007

Steve Smith wrote:

> Let me guess, you're recording DVB (e.g. DVB-T/Freeview) streams right?

Got it in one :)  Specifically Freeview.

> If so then I encountered the same problem, it turned out to be when the DVB
> stream contained more than one audio stream the playback would stutter
> terribly.

I did wonder if the problem might be something like that.  For the first
programme I've checked (the repeats of Torchwood on BBC3) there appear
be two audio streams.

However, almost all of my recordings appear to have two audio streams
(according to mplayer -v).  Is mplayer lying to me? (BBC1 & BBC2 seem to
be a mixture of one and two streams; BBC3 appears to be all two streams)
Could the problem be slightly more complicated than that?

> I created a quick and dirty fix for mine that records only the first audio
> stream I find (for the channel). Although logically this might encounter
> problems (I should really look for the first stereo audio stream), in
> practice I've encountered no problems....

If I could work out how to, say, strip the second audio channel from the
transport stream from a recording I know doesn't work and play the
result back with mythtv that might be useful, I guess.  Sadly we're now
beyond the limits of my understanding :(

James