[mythtv-users] Sequence for deleting dropped channels?

Craig Huff huffcslists at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 12:44:07 UTC 2007

On 9/23/07, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

> On 09/23/2007 08:59 PM, Richard Freeman wrote:
> > Craig Huff wrote:
> >
> >> As soon as
> >> the show I'm currently recording finishes, I will go into mythtv-setup
> and
> >> remove them from the DB as Mike "delete all capture cards and re-enter"
> >> Dean advised. ;-)
> > Is there anything wrong with just doing this?:
> >
> > DELETE FROM `channel` USING `channel` LEFT JOIN `program` ON
> > `channel`.`chanid` = `program`.`chanid`  WHERE `program`.`chanid` IS
> NULL ;
> >

> > This deletes any channels that do not have any associated programming.
> > Granted, you need to wait a little over two weeks after removing a
> > channel from your lineup before this will work, but it has the benefit
> > that you don't have to re-create all your capture cards.
>
> I don't think he was planning to do a delete all--he was just joking
> about how often I say to do one.
>
> >   And you don't
> > need to manually delete channels either.
> >

> Though he would have to do that.
>
> > What would be the downside of this approach, if any?
>
> Typos.  ;)  (Not that your command has any--I didn't check your
> command--but they're always possible when someone is just typing SQL
> into a client.)
>
> Mike

Yes, I was just using Mike's full name ;-)

**Now** I notice the comment about not needing to delete channels.

When I went into mythtv-setup to delete the extraneous channels, the action
I took actually deleted *all* of them.  Oops?!

Fortunately, the button (whose exact label I don't recall) for retrieving
channel data from the lineup worked fine.  I just made sure to run it for
each of my (can't think of the right term here) capture channels (PVR-500
dual-channel capture card needs both refreshed).

With all the new shows, I did a full-up test without even thinking about
whether this was an issue and must have gotten it all right since all of my
capture channels were in use at the same time and all the shows succeeded (I
think-didn't watch any yet, but they're the right size and commflag ran on
all of them).

Mike's right about SQL.  I work with databases at my day job ;-) and I'd
much rather use a debugged form than enter SQL commands, even on databases
where I'm intimately familiar with the schema, which, in regards to
mythconverg, I am not.  Yet.  ;-)

Thanks for the advice.

Craig.