[mythtv-users] Should I use LVM on this new raid?

Mike Poublon poublon at geeksoft.dyndns.org
Mon Sep 24 03:42:48 UTC 2007

Roo wrote:
> It occurs to me that all the talk of raid solutions seem to revolve
> around the assumption that it is a drive that has failed (ie the
> controller card is still available)
>
> There is a distinct possibility of a hardware raid controller failure,
> if you don't need sheer throughput then software raid has a lot going
> for it. It allows the array to be rebuilt on another machine
> independent of the controller card.
Actually, with the 3ware cards, the disks can be plugged into most any
newer controller and "just work". From what I've seen in the manuals for
3ware controllers, the disk "format" is understood by pretty much all
newer controllers. For example, a disk set from a 9500 series card could
be placed on a 9550 or 9650 and the card would know what to do with them.

If this continues to be the case, replacing a failed raid controller is
much less of an issue.