[mythtv-users] Should I use LVM on this new raid?

Craig Huff huffcslists at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 00:43:15 UTC 2007

On 9/23/07, Jay R. Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:

> In LVM you can create new PVs and extend the LVs onto them, and then
> expand the associated filesystems.
>
> But most FSs can't shrink, and hey, everyone?  Remember that if you
> have ridiculously massive filesystems, a tape drive to back them up
> will cost you about $6k.

Well, that depends...  How fast you want it backed up and how many volumes
you're willing to deal with.  It *could* be done on a SCSI-1 DAT4 library
with
a 12 cartridge magazine pretty cheap, but it's like the old saw:

    Fast,
    Cheap,
    Reliable.

Pick any two.

I picked up a DLT 35/70 drive a lot cheaper than that a couple of years ago,
on
EBay, so a DLT 320 might not be too bad by now, still, even that would take
awhile for a Terabyte, depending on compression results.  (Presumably, it
would take at least two tapes per Terabyte, even if 2:1 compression was
achieved.)

Even *this* believer in tape backup might be tempted to "just add more disks

and mirror it".

Craig.