[mythtv-users] Should I use LVM on this new raid?

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Mon Sep 24 00:09:25 UTC 2007

On Fri, Sep 21, 2007 at 08:26:50PM -0500, Brian Foddy wrote:
> 3ware 9650 8port raid card, and I'm starting out with
> 2 x 1000GB HDs, initially I plan them in raid0.  As

RAID and LVM, like so many things, are religious issues.

I *never* recommend RAID 0 to anyone; it was a hack to manage enough
disk channel bandwidth for CPUs that were faster than the disks; these
days, the disks are faster than just about any data you might have
coming in... so RAID 1 or 5 them for safety.

RAID 0 leaves you with the *product* of the MTBFs (which is to say, if
one is .99 reliable and the other .98, then the resulting stripeset is
.9702 reliable, and so forth) why waste MTBF?

Evaluate carefully the relative cost of drives, as well, 5x500GB RAID5
may give you the same amount of storage for less money then 2x1TB
RAID0; the largest capacity *anything* is always more than twice the
price of the next one down half its size.

500GB Seagate 7200.10s are about a bill right now.

Cheers,
-- jra