Adam Felson a.f.8 at pobox.com
Sun Sep 23 05:06:50 UTC 2007

On Sep 21, 2007, 5:31 AM briandlong at gmail wrote:
> I'm running MythTV from atrpms-bleeding (SVN from beginning of
> September) and when I scan Cable QAM256 or QAM64, it scans channel 77
> just fine (and finds MyRDC). I've just gotten my HDHR this week and
> I'm running the latest firmware as well.
>
> Not much help; just another data point.

Yet more information:

The frequency for channel 76 is actually 537000khz.  Myth isn't skipping it,
it just isn't seeing the two hidef stations on 76.  It isn't that they're
seen as encrypted as I can have myth scan the 'transport' with out filtering
out encrypted stations and myth still doesn't see it.

I tried doing the channel scan on myth-20-2 as well as svn versions 12618
(2007-01-22) and 13949 (7/16/2007).  It was around july when I had done the
setup the first time around so unless the hdhomerun firmware or the cable
company is to fault, mythtv should have found the stations.  I'm betting the
cable company is the problem.  However, HDHR can tune the stations as I've
seen them on windows vlc.

I discovered a branch in svn called mythtv-channel-scan that looks promising.
It's scanning is far more robust, but it unfortunately is an unfinished work
and merely leaves a bunch of incompatible data in some parallel tables.

I hopeing that I can figure out how mythtv uses the channel and dtv_multiplex
tables to store hidef channels.  I ran mythtv-setup with '-v database' and it
looks like it is the serviceid column of the channel table that determines
which hidef channel gets tuned.  I haven't quite figured out what the
dtv_multiplex table does.  I've seen examples where several hdtv stations on
the same frequency will all have the same mplexid.