[mythtv-users] Lost Swap space

Craig Huff huffcslists at gmail.com
Sat Sep 22 19:56:14 UTC 2007

On 9/22/07, Dan Ritter <dsr-myth at tao.merseine.nu> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 22, 2007 at 01:37:39AM -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
> (dsr said:)
> > > sudo mkswap /dev/hda2
> > > sudo swapon /dev/hda2
> > >
> > > (in future, your fstab line should work.)
> >
> > Almost...
> >
> > mkswap -L SWAP /dev/hda2
> >
> > Or, whatever the label (in /etc/fstab) may be.
>
> Ah, but he already did:

> existing
> /dev/hda2
>
> So it's currently immaterial. But you're right, that would let
> him switch back to mount-by-label later on.
>
> -dsr-

Thanks everyone.  Got it working.  It was weird, though.

The first time I ran mkswap I just provided the device, /dev/hda2 and it
didn't run very long but it seemed to work with swapon -a ... until I
rebooted and I was back to no swap.

Somewhere along the way with my struggle I ended up using the full-blown
command "mkswap -c -L SWAP-hda2 -v1 /dev/hda2" and it took so long I started
to think the system had gone south on me.  Once done, I went ahead and
reverted my /etc/fstab back to the line I had commented out and it has held
up through several reboots since.

Craig.