[mythtv-users] Should I use LVM on this new raid?

Brian Foddy bfoddy at visi.com
Sat Sep 22 16:36:52 UTC 2007

On Saturday 22 September 2007, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Sep 2007, Brian Foddy wrote:
> > Would people suggest I add LVM software on top of this,
> > or will I have enough flexibility with just the raid?  Also,
>
> Yes, you definately want to use LVM on top of the hardware raid you have
> from the card (it'll present itself as a single scsi drive to the OS).
>
> It'll give you the flexibility you might want in the future to do
> basically anything, otherwise you're locked into what the 3ware can do for
> you. It's really hard to do partitions on top of raid (due to the fact
> that there is a 2TB limit on most standard partitioning schemes), LVM
> solves that problem as well.
>
> Also, I would really suggest you buy a third drive and go for raid5
> directly if the 3ware card can't convert between raid0 and raid5.

Thanks for the input...

I think the card can convert between raid0 and raid5, least the
manual says it can, and I see in the user interface how it would
happen.  However, the manual didn't say anything about how
long to expect migrations to take...

Going from a single 1TB to a 2x1 raid0, has been running for
10 hours now and is only 25 percent done...  40 hours...
I think the new unit is available for use right now, but I'm sure
its degraded performance..

Brian