[mythtv-users] Should I use LVM on this new raid?

Roo roo.watt at gmail.com
Sat Sep 22 13:28:02 UTC 2007

On 22/09/2007, Joel Anderson <joel at geekless.ca> wrote:

<snip>

> I'm still
> debating whether to go back to sw raid, and I'm sure others on the
> list who are even thinking of using a similar hw solution would
> appreciate the data point.

It occurs to me that all the talk of raid solutions seem to revolve
around the assumption that it is a drive that has failed (ie the
controller card is still available)

There is a distinct possibility of a hardware raid controller failure,
if you don't need sheer throughput then software raid has a lot going
for it. It allows the array to be rebuilt on another machine
independent of the controller card.

Just a thought.

Cheers,

Roo.