[mythtv-users] Should I use LVM on this new raid?

Bill Williamson bill at bbqninja.com
Sat Sep 22 10:23:01 UTC 2007

On 9/22/07, Brian Foddy <bfoddy at visi.com> wrote:
>Snipped complex raid/LVM setup questions

Since it's not your boot drive I would SERIOUSLY consider using ZFS.
Read up on it, it's an excellent filesystem from SUN which has been
ported to FUSE (since it's not kernel compatible).

It takes the place of mdadm and LVM AND your native filesystem
(XFS/ext3/JFS/etc).  It can do anything you can think of.  Yes, that
sounds silly, but it really is "that good" and getting better quite
quickly.  It's going to be included in the next OSX release, and will
likely be the default filesystem in next + 1.

Example of a complex config that is easy to do in ZFS (and DOABLE with
mdadm + xfs + LVM but harder to manage):

-4 1TB hard drives
-3 filesystems
FS1: 700GB raid0 for speed (media caching drive if doing video editing?)
FS2: 300GB raid1 for redundency (boot/system drive?)
FS3: 2TB raid 5/6/their own equiv (for hotswap style redundancy, your
recordings drive)

It parcels out pieces of disk from the ZFS pool automatically and
figures out what stripes/blocks/etc it puts where to accomidate all of
that.  I'm a huge fan :)