[mythtv-users] Problems with LIRC

Ryan Steffes rbsteffes at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 21:45:11 UTC 2007

I know this should be on the lirc list, but that's a heck of a lot
harder to search than the myth list, and usually less active.  I
upgraded a bunch of my equipment and along the way managed to cause
enough trouble to make me have to reinstall.  Of all the portions I've
had problems with, I was surprised the one I can find the least
information on is the setting lirc back up.

It seemed very straightforward, download, make, install, copy the
config file back over and voila!

However, I'm getting this error and can't find much information on it:

#modprobe lirc_serial
FATAL: Error inserting lirc_serial
(/lib/modules/2.6.17-15mdv/misc/lirc_serial.ko): Input/output error
#dmesg |grep lirc

lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, at major 61
lirc_serial: auto-detected active low receiver
lirc_dev: lirc_register_plugin: sample_rate: 0
lirc_dev: lirc_register_plugin: no module owner registered
lirc_serial: register_chrdev failed!

I've got a homebrew receiver, and am using the exact same driver (even
tried copying the lirc_dev and lirc_serial over) from my other
frontend with a similar homebuilt receiver.

Any ideas before I go to the right list?

Thanks,
Ryan