[mythtv-users] How do I center the image on the TV screen?

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Sep 20 21:11:15 UTC 2007

Craig Huff wrote:
>> I wrote:
>>> I have an Nvidia 6150 on-board my Asus M2NPV-VM motherboard hooked up to
>>> a TV running 640x480 resolution.
>>>
>>> My problem is that the picture is offset to the right and perhaps down a
>>> little on the screen.  I'm sure there's a simple solution, but where?
>>>
>>> I have wandered around looking at xorg.conf settings, nvidia-settings,
>>> and MythTV settings, but I didn't find anything I thought would address
>>> the problem.
>>>
>>> How do I shove the picture left and up?
>>>
>>> Craig.
>
> Thanks all, for the advice, however...
>
> xvidtune *always* reported that the mode was unsupported, even the
> functioning mode.
>
> The problem *isn't* the TV, it's the video output, so adjusting the TV
> **isn't** the solution.  That's like fixing a flat tire by repaving the
> road.  The TV works fine when I use it with it's own tuner or with the (yes,
> I know it's archaic, but..) VCR.
>
> Worse, it seems that the modelines I've tried from the wiki don't get
> recognized.  I had to read between the lines and guess that the first
> parameter in the modeline is a "label" that is used in the mode statement to
> add the settings to the list of supported modes.  Also, suggested modes like
> "720x480_60" were silently ignored while "720x480" would be supported.  With
> *no* mode record, I got modes from 640x480 and down to something like
> 320x240.  The TV will work with settings up to at least 1024x768, but text
> is nigh unreadable.
>
> In any case, the display is offset to the right and down on the screen.
> Still.  I can use nvidia-settings to overscan, but then part of the picture
> would be off the right-hand side of the screen.
>
> I haven't had time to investigate and I'm getting tired of messing with it,
> but I seem to recall seeing something about the xorg.conf settings and
> TV-out to the effect that having setting(s) that specify TV-out cause modes
> and/or modelines (and maybe more) to be ignored.
>
> Additional advice always welcome.

If you run myth in a window, there are settings (in Setup -> General ->
Appearance iirc) which allow you to set offsets for the myth window
relative to the top left corner of the screen. You can also set the
window size, which can allow you to deal with overscan problems too.

Of course, this will not fix anything by myth, but its a *mythbox* right?

Geoff