[mythtv-users] British vs. American English (was MythTV requires a better name)

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Sep 20 15:25:44 UTC 2007

David Brodbeck wrote:
> On Sep 19, 2007, at 9:49 PM, R. G. Newbury wrote:
>> This was fine, since it brought his activities to the
>> notice of the policeman in the unmarked car, just ahead of me (a Q-
>> car,
>> if anyone wants another entry to the two countries rent by a language
>> thread).
>
> I've heard the term "Q-ship" used in American usage to refer to a car
> that's far faster than it looks.  "Sleeper" is more common, though.
> Never heard it used to refer to an unmarked cop car, but given the
> etymology of the term it makes sense.

The original Q-ships were merchantmen, fitted with naval guns in
disguised housings. They were intended to sucker U-boats into attacking
on the surface, where they could be destroyed. U-boat captains preferred
to save their torpedoes for attacks which needed the advantage of
underwater stealth. Single 'unarmed' merchantmen would be attacked from
the surface with gunfire. Thus Q-ships...Surprise!!

Geoff

--
              R. Geoffrey Newbury
            Barrister and Solicitor