[mythtv-users] Which tuner card to get?

James Oltman cnlibmyth at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 14:03:54 UTC 2007

On 9/19/07, Mathias Gibbens <mathias.gibbens at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for your input everyone. I'm flexible either way, but was wanting
> to have everything "in one place" (ie, just my computer). However, if the
> HDHomeRun is superior to PCI cards, that's the one I will be getting.
>
> Mathias

I just want to throw in my 2 cents.  I am just starting my foray into HD.  I
purchased an HDHR on Fri and it arrived on Tuesday.  I hooked it up last
night to an OTA antenna (currently, I'm living out in the country in Central
Illinois).  I was able to pick up my local FOX affiliate with no problems.
I was playing it over my network to an XP laptop I have (yes I know it's
WinBlowz but I had it laying around and couldn't find directions to do the
same setup with VLC on linux).  It was a beautiful site to see.  Now I just
need to climb up the antenna mast and move the antenna to face west so I can
get all the other channels (NBC for Heroes, ABC for Lost, and CBS so I can
mock Jericho when it comes back).  Hopefully, I won't die in the attempt.
Getting back OT, the HDHR was _crazy easy_ to setup.  After I get the
antenna pointed the right way, then I'll be upgrading Myth.  From my limited
experience, the HDHR "just works".  Good luck!

Jim