[mythtv-users] Which tuner card to get?

Matt Mossholder matt+MythTV-Users at mossholder.com
Thu Sep 20 01:23:24 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-09-19 at 20:08 -0500, Kevin Hulse wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 19, 2007 at 04:21:48PM -0700, Steve MacLaren wrote:
> 	Yeah, but how does it fare in terms of network usage?
>
> 	I am thinking about putting one upstairs with an indoor amplified
> 	antenna. I've got structured cabling pretty much everywhere so I
> 	can either patch through the coax from one room to the other (ending
> 	up where my backend is) or just having a HDHomerun up there and having
> 	it hooked up to the backend through the home (cat5e) network.
>
> 	I've got GigE switches in between & GigE on the backend.
>
> [deletia]

It works like a champ... the MPEG-2 streams for any given HD stream are
never in excess of 20Mbps, so the max it has to transmit is 40Mbps.
Usually, you are only watching one subchannel, so the "real world"
utilization is smaller. On an all Gig-E network, it should disappear
into the background noise :)

		--Matt