[mythtv-users] Shutdown/Startup help

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Wed Sep 19 16:46:37 UTC 2007

Now I have just about got my system to the "walk away quietly" stage[1], I would
like to shut down my systems overnight to save energy, theoretically, at any
rate. I have followed the various methods for shutdown and startup in the lists,
but they are not really appropriate. I'm sure I saw something a long while ago,
perhaps when I first came here, but I can't find anything relevant in the
lists[2], so any suggestions gratefully received...

My setup consists of a mixture of Myth and non-Myth. I have a backend-only
master server, a frontend, several workstations, one of which is a slave backend
as well, and a couple other servers. One of these other servers is the "server
to rule them all", a mini-ITX box and runs DHCP, LDAP[3], two printers, a
scanner, oh, and LTSP which is handy for when I build my diskless frontend...

All of my boxes also run Bacula, which means each box has to be alive at some
time or other to be backed up. All the boxes respond to wake-on-lan, so I've no
problem there.

So I have recordings, mythfilldatabase, possible overnight transcodes, bacula
saves, actually watching stuff and normal use of workstations to coordinate. I
remember seeing something about writing to a file on the master server, which
then triggers off stuff, but I can't find it.

As I say, suggestions gratefully received.

Mike Perkins

[1] Of course, I am about to destabilise things with what I am asking for...

[2] I know. Even Goooogle defeats me sometimes.

[3] I hope to use LDAP to control logins, Samba, DHCP, etc, etc. Anyone out
there who would be willing to share experiences, preferably off list...