[mythtv-users] Our Only Option is Schedule Direct?

B Walker braindead at diablops.com
Wed Sep 19 00:53:52 UTC 2007

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 20:07:13 -0400
"Michael T. Dean" <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

> On 09/18/2007 08:25 AM, Braindead wrote:
> > Personally I've found a find free source, simply pull the schedule
> > from my wifes MCE box.  I see no problem with this as I've got an
> > extra license for Vista premium that I'm not using anyway so I've
> > paid for two computers to get listings.
>
> It's amazing how many free sources of listings information you can
> find when you don't bother to read the license agreement/terms of
> service.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/mediacenter/evaluation/privacy/epg_tosV3.mspx
> -----
> The Microsoft software product identified above, which includes
> computer software and may include associated media, printed
> materials, "online" or electronic documentation, and Internet-based
> services (the "Product") provides access to an electronic programming
> guide service (the "EPG").

> Use of the Electronic Programming Guide Service. The EPG may only be
> accessed with an authorized personal computer using the Product.
> -----
>
> Granted, that's from the Windows XP MCE EPG TOS, but I'm sure the
> Vista MCE EPG TOS has similar "use with our product only"
> restrictions.  If you know otherwise, please prove me wrong--I
> couldn't find the actual TOS for the Vista MCE EPG, but would love a
> link to it.

The actual license for the EPG data is available on the MS website (don't have a link handy).  The EULA for Vista refrences it.  It specifically states you may allow other members of your household to use the subscription.  It's of course surrounded by tons of other stuff that *could* be construed to limit that to just MCE computers.  As mentioned in other threads with various case citations, shrink-wrap/click-wrap licenses appear to be against the UCC according to several cases and have been held to be unenforcable.

> "But I bought it..."  I know, I know.  You may have bought the
> elevator, but...
>
> So, rather than having paid for 2 computers to get listings, you've
> paid for 2 Windows Vista MCE's to get listings.

No, my Wife uses Windows MCE and Vista was purchased for me by a client (a client purchased Vista for me MS got the money just not from me, I figured I've got an extra license was more brief).  It took maybe 10 minutes to setup and I have scheduling information at no cost and no hassle and no need to have a Paypal account.  Sure, somebody (whoever provides EPG data for MCE) could try to sue me.  The chance of that is so small as to be negligible.

The original point I was trying to make is *if* someone makes a scraper that converted data to XMLTV format without any mention of where that data came from, trying to hold the end user liable for that would be like holding end users liable for patent infringment of software.  "but you bought the software, it's your computer, you should have known"...yeah right.  The author would be the target.

The original post was asking a simple question, and the answer is no, SD is not the only option.  If it were might as well pull XMLTV support. In fact, considering the support for XMLTV files is in there, I'm sure a properly motivated lawyer could make a case against the MythTV developers.

As I said previously, if this discussion isn't appropriate for the list perhaps it should be moderated.  Problem solved.