[mythtv-users] Power bill vs SchedulesDirect bill

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Tue Sep 18 23:51:23 UTC 2007

On Sep 18, 2007, at 4:10 PM, Yan Seiner wrote:
>   With new mobos having 4 - 6 SATA connectors, it would be nice if the
> drives could be told to spin up sequentially rather than all at once.

The SATA spec defines a pin to control staggered spinup, but I think
most cheap controllers don't support it.

With IDE drives the situation isn't quite so bad, because most drives
delay spinup for a few seconds when they're configured as a slave.
So if you have two drives per channel, only half the drives will spin
up at once.

Most serious SCSI RAID controllers spin up drives in staggered
pairs.  This can be a lot of fun to listen to on a big array,
although it also makes the boot much more time consuming.  I've had
servers that would take over a minute just to get to the point where
they were executing the boot loader.