[mythtv-users] Power bill vs SchedulesDirect bill

Bearcat M. Sandor HomeTheater at feline-soul.com
Tue Sep 18 22:42:31 UTC 2007

So forgive this ignorant question, but if i have a 500 watt power supply
does that mean that i'm using 500 watts all the time or that i have 500
watts of power available?  If i use a 300 watt power supply am i consuming
less power then i would if i had a 500 watt power supply?

This will factor into my next OC build which i want to be as Green as
possible.

Bearcat M. Sandor

> On Sep 18, 2007, at 3:25 PM, Calvin Dodge wrote:
>
>> On 9/18/07, davatar <davatar at comcast.net> wrote:
>>> 50W? My drives alone take more power than that. 10cents??? I
>>> wish... Anyone
>>
>> Hmmm ... lotsa drives? Or SCSI?
>>
>> According to my Kill-A-Watt meter, my Athlon64 3800+ system uses 72-75
watts at idle, with 3 hard drives (two Seagate PATA, one Hitachi SATA).

> Yeah, and my 2 GHz P4 slave backend uses about 60 watts when idle. Hard
disk spindown helps, too, if you have separate video and OS drives.  (In
my experience you can never get a Linux OS drive to spin down for any
reasonable amount of time.)