[mythtv-users] Enabling remote X display???

Scott Alfter mythtv at salfter.dyndns.org
Tue Sep 18 21:07:52 UTC 2007

Craig Huff wrote:
> In the latter part of my post that you snipped, I mentioned trying to
> use ssh.  I should have said I have x-forwarding turned on, so -X would
> be redundant.  As I said, nvidia-settings is too smart and even though I
> invoked it on the frontend thru an ssh tunnel from the backend, it
> tunnels back to the backend to determine the monitor to be configured.
> ;-(  (note the reference to localhost:10 which is the x-forwarded
> reference back to the backend display).

You could set up a VNC server and use that to pull up your MythTV box on
another system.  Change the display resolution temporarily to fit
nvidia-settings, make your changes in nvidia-settings, then change back to
640x480 (or whatever).

Something like this should work:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Use_VNC_to_connect_to_existing_X_Sessions#Method_2:__X_Server_.28system-started.29_method

   _/_